Friday, July 3, 2009

489 Family Friday: July 3rd

It's Family Friday time again! Family Friday is hosted by HomemakerBarbi.com, thank you Danielle!

As we approach the birthday of America this weekend, I have been pondering the idea of teaching our children to appreciate the country they live in. I was not. I had no idea until I was in my late teens and early adulthood that American even interacted with other countries. I was in a bubble. I do not want my kids to grow up like that. I want my children to love their country, and the heritage we have in it. I want them to have an understanding of where our country has went from, and be concerned about where it is headed. I want them not juts to be an American, I want them to be proud of that and never take their freedoms as an American for granted.

I believe in our society that has been lost a great deal. There has been a wave in this generation of selfishness and self centeredness I cannot recollect happening in history. There are people who live in America, and live with all of the freedom she offers, yet, they seem to hate everything it stands for. I will never understand this.

"What is Memorial Day about, mommy?". I was ashamed that I could not truly explain the holiday, Memorial day, except that it was a day to remember fallen soldiers. You would never know that though to look at society as a whole. In general, national holidays are an excuse to have an extra day off of work, and have a cookout or go on a mini vacation. That's so sad! How many people TRULY CELEBRATE national holidays, for the holidays they are?

I'm learning, too, as I go, but this Independence Day, we are going to read the Declaration of Independence. We read the nativity story the night before Christmas, because that it what Christmas IS ABOUT. So from now on, we will read "the story" of America's birthday, on July 4th, with just as much importance as the nativity story on Christmas.

and carry on our quirky tradition of watching Will Smith's movie "Independence Day". We started doing that way before the kids were born, and it just "is". I love this speech:



Happy Birthday America!

1 comment:

  1. You are right that many people don't even understand the meaning of this celebration. Maybe they don't appreciate the freedom that has been fought for because they have taken it for granted. But all we have to do is watch other countries to realize our freedom comes with great price and even though things are not perfect here, we are from the oppression felt in many other countries. God Bless America...again and again.

    Have a wonderful 4th of July....

    ReplyDelete