Saturday, July 4, 2009

Being cautious of "teachers"

As Christians, we have to always be on guard as to what we hear and read these days, even on Christian websites, pages by Christians, and even other Christians. When I say other Christians, I mean sometimes our brothers and sisters in Christ may be misunderstanding something in God's Word, and might be "teaching" their misunderstandings to other Christians. There are Christian websites, that might support ideas and doctrines that not in line with God's Word. You might find a sharp looking "Christian blog" that might have the honest of intentions (or maybe not), that might not be aware they are misleading people regarding bible doctrine because they do not realize they are in error themselves.

That being said, I want to make it clear that I do not claim to have any more authority in the Word of God than anyone other born again believer that might read this blog. A lot of the more in depth devotionals you will read on this site is directly from notes I have taken during sermons. I believe my church is extremely doctrinally sound, therefore I am confident in my notes that are derived from the teaching done at church. If I do post something related to doctrine written by myself, it has been previewed by other trusted Christians to validate the wording and to make sure there can be no misunderstanding.
However, I urge everyone to come to their own peace about their bible concerns through their prayer life, bible studies, and counseling with their trusted Christian mentors. If you believe I can help, I will be glad to in any way I can.

I'm seeing more often in Christian themed conversations warnings of false teachers and the like. I believe that the more grounded in the Word of God you are, the closer in fellowship you are with God and will have a "spirit check" about everything you encounter. This has definitely been my experience. I am a double checker. If I am in doubt about something someone tells me or something I read, I file it in the "later" folder of my mind until I have a moment to look it up for myself. There was a time in my life when I was spending a GREAT deal of time studying the bible to prove to myself why I believed what I believed. In that, I mean, I knew in my heart what I believed was right according to the bible, it was the being able to have a verse or passage come to mind when speaking to someone that supported what I believed. To be able to have a conversation about topics.

I believe this is a good thing. It is important to be able to give an answer to why you believe what you do, the bible says so:

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1 Peter 3:15
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

I believe that knowing firsthand the "whys" of your beliefs, you are able to guide through the muddled waters of the internet (or others) and not get pulled into wavelengths of thinking that might lead you astray in your own walk with God. By having that knowledge behind you, you are better able to approach things with the "I know what I believe and why" instead of "I want to learn more about God and this sounds good / this person seems to really know what they're talking about".

Because "false" teachers can be directly misleading you, or indirectly misleading you.*

No comments:

Post a Comment